Brian P O’Shaughnessy counsels clients to extract maximum value from intellectual assets and has represented established companies, start-up ventures, research labs and individuals bringing innovative products to market in the fields of pharmaceuticals, chemicals and materials, biotechnology, medical devices, communications and automotive parts.
Mr O’Shaughnessy counsels clients on developing and implementing licensing strategies to enhance corporate competitiveness and to extract maximum value from intellectual assets. He represents clients in contested matters before the federal courts of the United States and in administrative proceedings before the US Patent and Trademark Office, including patent procurement, post-issuance proceedings and interferences. He counsels life sciences and healthcare companies on lifecycle management strategies, and on matters relating to the Hatch-Waxman amendments to the Federal Food Drug and Cosmetic Act. Mr O’Shaughnessy has also served as an expert witness in contested matters involving IP-related licence agreements. Mr O’Shaughnessy’s wideranging experience affords a diverse perspective and creative solutions to IP protection, enforcement, licensing and risk reduction.
Mr O’Shaughnessy’s recent representations include:
• In re Fenofibrate Patent Litigation.
• Lupin Atlantis Holdings, SA v Paddock Laboratories, Inc.
• Technology Advancement Group v Transformation Advisors Group.
• Sepracor Inc v Breath Ltd.
• Philip Morris, Inc v Star Scientific, Inc.
• Eli Lilly and Co v Zenith Goldline Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
• Eli Lilly and Company v Novo Nordisk of North America, Inc.
• Plant Genetic Systems, NV v Dekalb Genetics Corp.
• Dekalb Genetics Corp v Pioneer Hi-Bred Internat’l, Inc.
• Revlon Consumer Products Corporation v L’Oreal SA.
• Fisons Corp v Health & Medications at Home.
• Hybritech, Inc v Abbott Labs.
Mr O’Shaughnessy is a longstanding and active member of the Licensing Executives Society (LES) USA & Canada, and serves on its board of trustees. He is also a longstanding author and faculty member of its Professional Development Series of educational offerings, and serves LES USA & Canada as an international delegate to LES International.
He joined Buchanan upon the 2005 merger of Burns, Doane, Swecker & Mathis, LLP, one of the oldest and most prolific IP law firms in the United States.